-
July 29th, 2008, 05:07 PM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
I know this is a frivolous post but I just want Al Gore to know I lowered my carbon footprint when I built my speakers. If I can get with 10 watts what all the commercial brands need 1000 watts for...I think I should get credit. Hi-efficiency is green technology.
-
July 29th, 2008, 06:25 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Originally posted by Steve Mac:
...Hi-efficiency is green technology.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, it can be, as long as the energy consumed to achieve that efficiency doesn't offset the savings.
In this case, just a few of the offsets to consider include;
Transportation fuel...trips to Lowes, UPS from GPA, etc.
Construction electricity for saw, router, lights, etc.
R&D electricity for the project PC hours.
And that's just some of the first generation offsets, without considering the energy consumption or bio effects of lumber production, steel and aluminum mining/production, etc.
I'm all for efficiency in every sense of the word, but I think we tend to be a lttle quick to pat ourselves on the back (and I include myself in that).
If you want some really green music, sing for your neighbors.
-
July 29th, 2008, 06:52 PM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
Right, I got that covered...I figure if I play the system morning, noon and night, eventually the savings will start to overcome the initial investment.
-
July 29th, 2008, 07:35 PM
#4
Senior Hostboard Member
Considering the diesel used to get the 210 cabinets here, I would classify them as gray. Same with the 1803 horns.
The 511B's and 811B's would be black 'cause they were flown in.
Oh, wait, you weren't talking about their colours, you meant environmental. Funny how those are coincidental.
Back into my hole...
<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ July 29, 2008 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Cal Weldon ]</font>
-
July 30th, 2008, 12:45 AM
#5
Senior Hostboard Member
hmmm..i got free shipping on my 210's, and since my neighbors can just listen to my music..theyre saving electricity. just need a geothermal power amp
-
July 30th, 2008, 02:25 AM
#6
Senior Hostboard Member
Just dump the combustion engine for the TM 4 electric motor. Huh ! What? Dahh!
Yes since the mid 90's the wheel of a car is transformed into a rotor generating it's own
electricity. What?
A computer is required to regulate all 4 wheels.
Since Fly by wire was introduced late in the US
I don't see this system implemented soon. For safety reasons.
I guess you still prefer paying a weeks salary on a tank of gas.
I can't paste . Or when I do it does not work.
Just type in google Canada. MOTEUR ROUE HYDRO QUEBEC . Then press search.
You will have to use google translator
..
<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ July 29, 2008 11:33 PM: Message edited by: CONVERGENCE ]</font>
-
July 30th, 2008, 04:24 AM
#7
Inactive Member
-
July 30th, 2008, 04:41 AM
#8
Senior Hostboard Member
Ok....which guy is you......
-
July 30th, 2008, 04:52 AM
#9
Inactive Member
Neither of course, though if you piled 4-5 times more krap in the DIY guy's picture, you'd have an idea of my LR...
I admit I was thinking of you when I saw those wheelie bars though.
-
July 30th, 2008, 08:01 AM
#10
Inactive Member
I just can't resist the opportunity here for an OT rant...
Consider the current energy situation. Next time you come home from the store, take a minute to think about where the items you purchased actually came from. Odds are there'll be very little from within 500 miles, much of it will be from another country or continent. Moving all that stuff around the world isn't cheap. 99% of the developed world population is paying out the a$$ for it while the fat bastage 1% get more powerful every minute. It doesn't take a genius to understand why oil men push global trade like they do...
Now consider the benefits of keeping as many of those transportation $ at home as possible. Put your neighbors to work and pay them good wages. Develop local resources that aren't subject to global instability or Wall Street speculation. Give the oil men the finger.
I like bananas, but I'd rather pay a neighbor for apples. Then he'll have money to buy my services. That's exactly how things worked in the "good old days", when America was a place of pride and innovation. Back when the products you bought would last because they were made by someone you knew who would be embarrassed to sell you junk like we get now. Back when people made good money for doing a good job. Back when proud people worked at places like...Altec Lansing...
Added;
This is something we each have the power to change without counting on corrupt politicians to do for it us. We're all consumers, and what we buy and where we buy it controls the market, not the other way around. Forget the complexities of the policies and regulations that would have to change for the government to do it in their typical pocket-stuffing, wasteful manner. Take control of your own destiny and your children's destinies. If we continue our current ways, I promise we'll get what we deserve.
<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ July 30, 2008 05:50 AM: Message edited by: bfish ]</font>
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks